COALITION OF ESSENTIAL SCHOOLS NATIONAL OFFICE, Oakland, CA 2000–2004
The Coalition of Essential Schools (CES) is a national school reform organization that supports a network of 20 CES regional centers and 8,000 schools working to reform education systems and schools.
- Conceptualized and implemented a new strategic direction for the organization.
- Established working relationships with national reform organizations and DC policy leaders
- Secured over $25 million in funding.
- Analyzed competitive market of hundreds of school reform organizations nationwide to position CES as frontrunner of reform agencies.
- Established CES University (CESU), a national teacher professional development resource. In the pilot year, CESU launched 19 sessions at various locations throughout the US, contracted 32 facilitators to teach, collaborated with various like-minded organizations, and managed web-based distance learning component.
- Directed $500K annual national conference, the Fall Forum, for over 2,300 educators, administrators, funders, and policy makers generating $250K in revenue.
SUMMERBRIDGE NATIONAL (Breakthrough Collaborative), San Francisco, CA 1995–2000
Summerbridge National (SBN) is a national Students Teaching Students program. SBN supported 43 regionally based Summerbridge programs throughout the US, including three in Hong Kong.
- Fundraised over $4.1M to support continued and new initiatives.
- Developed national and local partnerships for student and teacher support, e.g. Teach for America and Partners in School Innovation, and research, e.g. Stanford University.
- Managed national Board of Directors of 17 individuals, representing the several of the nations Fortune 500 organizations.
- Sub-granted $700K to 30 Summerbridge regional sites annually (via RFP process).
- Produced national professional development for 500 AmeriCorps Members/Teachers.
BOARDS, ASSOCIATIONS, AND PUBLICATIONS
- Executive Board Member/Secretary Oakland Small Schools Foundation, Oakland, CA
- Executive Board Member/Chair Youth Uprising, Oakland, CA
- Certified Peer Trainer Linking Education and America Reads Through National Service
- LEARNS, a partnership of the Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory (NWREL) and Bank Street College of Education, provides training and technical assistance to federally funded programs focused on literacy and education development.
Contributed articles to the following publications:
- Children in the Halls of Justice: A Report on Child Care in the Courts. 1995. Center for the study of Social Policy & US Department of Justice.
- Granting Children A Court Recess: A Program Operations Manual for Child Care in the Courts.1995. Center for the study of Social Policy & U.S. Department of Justice.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Doctor of Education – Education Leadership, Mills College, Oakland, CA
- Business Administration Foundation Courses, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- Organizational Leadership & Strategic Visioning Certificate, National Service Leadership Institute, San Francisco, CA
- Master of Arts, Education: Education Advocacy & Policy, Tufts University, Medford, MA
- Bachelor of Arts, African American Studies: Social Sciences, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA