KAISER PERMANENTE, Oakland, CA 2000-2007
Corporate non-profit healthcare organization with seven regions across the U.S. serving 9,000,000 members and 111,000 employees
National Business Consultant
Accelerated the implementation of an innovative shift change practice to all units in 31 hospitals within 16 months.
- Coached 12+ project managers, nurse managers in how to lead their teams through innovation and improvement.
- Designed and conducted virtual training, education and kick-off sessions for 31 hospital-based teams.
- Influenced executive and middle management leaders to sponsor innovation and improvement practices. Improved nurse communications at the time of shift change for at least
Organization Development Senior Consultant
Researched and analyzed best practices for nurse communications at hand-offs (reducing time before nurse seeing first patient at shift change by half original time), and patient flow through hospitals.
- Led groups of clinicians, nurses, labor leaders and management staff to co-develop best practices for hospital-based hand-offs between nurses and doctors, nurses and nurses, clinical team and patients, and clinicians and ancillary staff.
- Produced a toolkit and change package for hospitals to adopt practices in nurse communication and bed management.
SUMMERBRIDGE NATIONAL (Breakthrough Collaborative), San Francisco, CA 1998-2000
Education, national non-profit providing strategic support for 26 Breakthrough programs that serve a diverse group of late elementary and middle school students
AmeriCorps Assistant Director
Administered federal AmeriCorps grant to 15 national sites.
- Built training and development program for site leaders to deliver to their program staff.
- Delivered national training to site leaders.
PARTNERS IN SCHOOL INNOVATION, San Francisco, CA 1997-1998
Service organization working to enable Bay Area public schools in high-poverty communities, serving mainly students of color and English-language learners, to achieve educational equity through school-based reform.
School Partnership Director
Advised school leaders of three Bay Area elementary and middle schools on reform initiatives.
- Evaluated schools’ progress on addressing initiatives including decreasing the achievement gap between white students and students of color.
- Managed two school-based teams responsible for working with teachers and lead teachers to test and implement reform strategies.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- M.S., Human Resources and Organization Development, University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- B.A., English, Wittenberg University, Springfield OH
- Integral Coaching Certification, New Ventures West, San Francisco, CA
- Improvement Advisor Certification, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Boston, MA
- Project Management Mastery Certification, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- Accelerating Implementation Methodology Certification, IMA, Boulder, CO
- Facilitative Leadership Certification, National Service Leadership Institute, San Francisco, CA